Home   |    Parish Life   |   Sacraments   |   History   |   Visitors   |   Contact Us
Home      |     Parish Life      |       Visitors      |      Parking      |      History      |      Contact      |      Weddings      |      Forms       
........................................................................................................
The Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine
38 Cathedral Place St. Augustine, FL 32084   |   904-824-2806
© 2011 All Rights Reserved AFP - Designed by: 3 Boards Media
The Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine is the
oldest parish of a permanent European settlement
on the North American continent north of Mexico. On
August 28, 1565, Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés
first sighted land along the east coast of Florida. It
was the feast day of Saint Augustine of Hippo.
Menéndez decided to give that saint’s name to his
first settlement. He continued sailing north along
the coast, eventually coming to rest in September.
While some members of Menéndez’s party landed
on September 6, 1565, Menéndez himself did not
land until September 8, the feast of the Nativity of
the Blessed Virgin Mary. History records only one of
the names of the four priests, Father Francisco
Lopez de Mendoza Grajales and it is Father Lopez
who began Mission Nombre de Dios, where Mass
and pastoral services have been offered every year
since its founding.            >
Read More  -  Page 2
Location of Church:

The Cathedral Basilica
38 Cathedral Place
St. Augustine, FL 32084
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.